Over the years, the collections have been enriched through acquisitions and donations.
Sections of the medieval wall still guard the historic area, where narrow streets pass steep-roofed 17th century buildings with gable overhangs before opening into vast, church-dominated squares such as Great Square and Little Square.
Sibiu is a pedestrian-friendly city with two easily accessible levels: the Upper town, home to most of Sibiu's historic sights, and the Lower town, lined with colorful houses on cobblestone streets and bounded by imposing city walls and defense towers overlooking the river Cibin.
In 1797, Samuel von Hahnemann opened in Sibiu the world's first homeopathic laboratory Sibiu is home to the first hospital in Romania (1292), the first pharmacy (1494) and the oldest museum in Romania, the Brukenthal Museum, opened in 1817 The first book in the Romanian language was printed in Sibiu in 1544 Traditionally, the Upper town was the wealthier part and commercial outlet, while the Lower town served as the manufacturing area.
The historical centre includes the Great Square, Huet Square, the beautiful Passage of Steps connecting the upper town to the lower town, the well-known Bridge of Lies, Goldsmiths' Square and the Small Square.
Three 15th century towers have withstood the test of time: Harquebusiers' Tower was the site of Sibiu's first theatrical performance, staged in 1778.
At the centre of the upper town are three beautiful squares.
This beautiful baroque structure with classical decorations was built between 17.
The tower was attached to the nave in 1738 and one year later, a cross was seated on the top.
This impressive structure, featuring five pointed towers, was built in 1520 on the site of an old Roman basilica.